It's been a very sad, very hard day over here today at the Alberda household. After four and a half short years together, our beloved Ike has left us. He went very suddenly, yesterday he was still the fun, energetic boy we knew so well, and this morning he had become almost immobile, and continued going downhill until early this afternoon when he lost conciousness and the vet decided there was no more he could do. It turns out that unbeknownst to us he had had cancer in his digestive tract, and it had probably been going on for quite awhile. So tonight I would like to pay tribute to the best dog in the world, "Ike-y Boy" Alberda.
Here are some of the things we will always remember about our sweet Ike:
1. His insatiable love of all things related to pizza.
2. The one-of-a-kind crazy dance of joy he would do for us when we came home, even if we'd only
been gone for an hour.
3. How we couldn't be sitting on the floor for one second without his big ol' head either nuzzling in under
our arm, or planted directly in our face waiting for a kiss and a scratch behind the ears.
4. How a simple "Good boy, Ike" could make his whole day.
5. His unending tolerance with a two-year old who was convinced he was a pony.
6. The bargain him and Dana made that whatever food Dana didn't want to eat he would very
generously take off her hands (literally!).
7. How he would sneak onto the couch whenever we weren't looking, and then try to sneak back
off when we were.
8. How when we didn't trim his hair often enough his feet would look like they had "Grinch-toes".
9. The championship-worthy doggie paddle he would practice in the Alberda pond, which would last for hours if
we would let him.
10. Those big, brown eyes that connected straight to his soul.
11. How hard it is already not having him here.
Thanks Ike, for the years of unquestioning love and unhindered loyalty that you gave us. Your huge heart will forever be a part of our history. We love you Buddy, and will miss you always.
Rietman Family Thanksgiving Cruise
1 week ago